In Year 6 Homework is particularly important. Not only does it help to develop understanding of work from the classroom but also enables children to develop independence and organisation that will stand them in good stead at secondary school.
Homework is issued on Wednesdays and collected the following Tuesday, giving children a full week to complete all tasks.
The basic structure of homework in Year 6 is as follows:
- Individual reading book (daily). Bug Club
- Spelling practice (daily) or Basic knowledge flash cards
- English Writing (1 x weekly)
- English Grammar (1 x weekly)
- Reading comprehension (1 x weekly)
- Maths (1 x weekly)
SATs Revision (Spring Term) - Using provided materials.
They may occasionally be given additional work to revise or research.
Year 6 have been working hard all year, preparing for their SATs. We still have a small number of weeks left and so we must ensure we are completing regular reading and homework (as detailed above) to help revise all the content we have learnt this year.
SATs Week Timetable
The dates that the National KS2 SATs will take place in May 2019 are from Monday 11th May 2020 to Thursday 14th May 2020.
- Monday May 11th 2020: SPaG Test- Grammar/Punctuation- 45 minutes
- Monday May 11th 2020: SPaG Test- Spelling- 20 minutes
- Tuesday May 12th 2020: Reading Test- 60 minutes
- Wednesday May 13th 2020: Maths Paper 1 (Arithmetic)- 30 minutes
- Wednesday May 13th 2020: Maths Paper 2 (Reasoning)- 40 minutes
- Thursday May 14th 2020: Maths Paper 3 (Reasoning)- 40 minutes
SATs Breakfast Club
In order to for children to be relaxed and calm, Year 6 will be welcomed to a special ‘Year 6 breakfast club’ during SATs (11th to 14th May 2020). As a school, we will be providing a range of breakfast options including breakfast cereal, toast and a selection of drinks.
Breakfast club will open at 8:00am sharply and will end at 8:45; Children are more than welcome to turn up at anytime during this period.